31 January, 2016

Leather Making




This is my kitchen table. A big fat leathery mess.
DS and I have been delving into leather work. He wanted to give his friends 'Handmade!'
I'm happy to support that.
Also, very interested.


One of two hides I now have in the house - will they stay with me or do they travel with DS?


He made this hatchet cover.
 

  •  We covered pattern making. 
  • How to figure out dimensions if you do not want to pay $4.99 for a digital download. 
  •  How leather stretches (OMG). 
  • What types of leather we really needed. 
  •  How to hold a bic lighter so it does not scorch the leather (do not use on cork!).
  • Which tools are necessary (thank you garage sale find! and Tandy Leather).

The wallet behind the cork  was our first presentable wallet. I made the cork one first. This holds a card on each side (mirror image design) with a pocket in the middle for paper bills/more cards.

We are now working on a design for a four card minimalist wallet with middle pocket. DS bought the second hide - a shoulder cut - the other night. This leather cut looks like we'll be able to shave the 'seams' easier and provide a bit more structure - and less stretch.


His goal is a minimalist wallet. He also made a couple of journal covers. 


I have seriously awesome kids.

11 comments:

  1. How totally cool! When I read the title in my blogreader I thought maybe you had purchased some Craft-Tex and were leatherizing it - only to pop over to your blog to find ... ACTUAL LEATHER, lol! Not a project I would take on - I'm just not that brave (and don't need another addiction) but I can't wait to see what you guys come up with :) I'm curious about the cork - is that some kind of design on a piece of leather, or is it actual cork, and if it's cork, what form are you buying it in - like ... sheets?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the cork on one of my FB groups - NCW Wallet Addicts (?) and bought some from a gal in Hawaii who imports it from Portugal (SewDaKine). It is awesome in texture and durability. Looks to be cork with fabric adhered to back? Look on etsy.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh.. I love leather-working! I've made wallets, purses, all kinds of things. I also have quite a bit of tanned soft leather for making pouches and bags.. I've done a lot of beadwork on the leather, too. Congrats on your son wanting to make his own gifts.

    And *T*H*A*N*K* * *Y*O*U*!*!*!* so much for the heart you made for me.. I did a blog post on it today. I seriously adore it!

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "heart" creative messes! I also agree that you have seriously awesome kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bic lighter is used for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To seal the waxed thread. It locks the end stitches.

      Delete
  5. I bought a bunch of leather supplies on Sunday at Michaels....which means approx 5 months to 2 years from now I will actually make the leather keychains I want to make. :) It took about 2 years for me to actually start the sashiko after buying the original supplies for it. So I am eagerly following your leather progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My penchant for new shiny projects makes my goal of being on Hoarders a definite possibility. . .

      Delete
  6. I have always wished my children to have an interest in any craft, but no avail. Sigh! Glad you are enjoying working with yours...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.