19 December, 2016

Candy Airplane Tutorial







I thought it was easy enough to look at my photos of my candy airplanes in order to make your own and then I got a couple of emails questioning how I put it together.

Supply list:
Fuselage: Baby Ruths or other 'stiff' long candy bars.
Wings: Air Heads
Wing support and tail empennage: Single Starbursts
Wheels: Rolos
Propeller: Taffy or mini Tootsie Rolls
Big pile of hot glue sticks
(and your hot glue gun).

You'll need a Baby Ruth or any other candy bar that is long like a fuselage. Almond Joys used to not work because they are two pieces and it's not stiff enough to use as a fuselage. I noticed last time at the store they have added a stiffer cardboard to the bottom for support.
I've used starbursts, Uno bars - anything that is long and will support the wings.

The AirHeads work well for the wings. In fact, sometime I make single wing aircraft. I haven't really found a substitute for these. In the USA, they are usually sold six strips to a pack - meaning you can get three biplanes out of a pack.

Starburst sold in the big pack. Alternatively, you can buy the single pack and use these. Less expensive to buy the big package. These will support your second wing and also look like a tail on the fuselage.

Rolos, individually wrapped in the big package. Haven't found an alternative for these either. They are round and look like wheels.

The propeller can be made with salt water taffy or mini tootsie rolls. Any candy with paper twisted at the ends will work.

Gather your candy and hot glue gun. It's usually cold when I make these so the glue gets brittle or doesn't bond well with the plastic candy wrappers. These are slightly fragile with tails popping off occasionally. Especially in transit, moving airplanes to their new homes.  Easy fix though.


I also used a (free) priority mailing box, kept flat, on my table to catch any hot glue.


 Put a blob of glue on top of your candy fuselage about 2 inches from one end. Attach one Airhead strip. This is your top wing.


 Flip the candy bar over and attach a starburst not quite at the end of the wing.



 Blobs of glue on both starburst wing supports and also on the candy fuselage and attach bottom wing. Work quickly as glue doesn't really bond with wrappers. You need to place three blobs of glue and place that bottom wing on. I touch each place where the glue is underneath to make sure it connects.


Attach rolo wheels too on this bottom wing.
Either together or about an half-inch apart. Kinda on either side of the fuselage.

There's no wrong way or right way. If your rolos are turned the other way, it will still work.




 Turn plane upright. Add tootsie roll to front of fuselage candy bar.
 

Sometimes, there is empty space up there. In the case of the Baby Ruth, the wrapper was enough support for the propeller Tootsie roll. If it isn't, then use more hot glue to bring empty front space closer to main fuselage.

You're gonna use a lot of hot glue sticks.


 Finally, add another starburst to back of candy fuselage to indicate a tail empennage.





I don't buy candy ahead of time but I do look for the best deals. These babyruths were 2/$1.00 whereas regular candy bars are almost a dollar each.

The big package of starburst were enough to make nearly 50 biplanes.
The package of rolos would have been enough except someone got into them.
The airheads? Who eats these anyway? I actually cleaned out my fred meyers for awhile.
I've used salt water taffy before but I really like the look of the mini tootsie rolls.

There's no wrong way or right way.

Be creative with your candy choices.

Maybe go on to making trains and other funmobiles.

Train wheels are round Mints - York or Pearsons. Peppermints.

Image result for candy trains image

Image result for candy trains image

Image result for candy airplanes image

Image result for candy planes image

8 comments:

  1. I love your candy planes.. my grandsons would love them.. I'll show them to my DIL and maybe she'll make some!

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial! I will be making some candy Airplanes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cool! Thank you for showing this fumbldee fingers how to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how CUTE! I eat half before I was done though...lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.