01 September, 2011

Tiny Blackberry Pies

I have been doing stuff on the computer lately and while I am computerizing I like to have the TV on in the background - literally - it's behind my computer chair. My ears perked up when they (?) mentioned Blackberry cobblers and pies which are so good this time of year.
I swiveled around to watch as the host put together individual Blackberry pies in small ramekins. My sister-in-law gave me some ramekins a few years back and they get a fair bit of use around here as the household size has diminished.
My ears stayed perked up because I had all the ingredients - except the blackberries and surely they would stock them at my grocery store. But no - I had to settle on frozen berries.




Anyway - you take a pre-made pie crust, unroll it and cut one in quarters. I only planned to make two so half of my pie crust went back in it's wrapper and back into the freezer.
You take the quarter pie crust and carefully fill a greased ramekin. Let the sides flop open for now.
Add your blackberries until level with the top- these juice - so don't overfill.




Sprinkle some sugar (1 tsp?) on top, add some orange zest and for a final touch add some Triple Sec or a little OJ.
Bring those floppy folds back over the center and tap down so it sits a tad rough looking.

Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle some coarse sugar on top (purely decorative).
I think I bought this bag of coarse sugar quite a few years ago. Either I am not baking enough or it is a really big bag of coarse sugar that takes a long time to use up. It does add a professional flair to your baked goods.



Anyway - throw these into a 350' oven for 35-45 minutes until the tops are browned lightly and the kitchen smells like warm blackberries.
Easy.
Tasty.



I  forgot to take a photo of the results but I think your imagination can get you there.
We've enjoyed these several times this season.

1 comment:

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.