20 March, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Daffodils

This is Simple.
Yet, people are in awe of these unique green-edged daffodils.
How do you get the green stippling?

First - cut your daffodils a day or two before St. Patrick's Day. Place them in a glass vase. Add 3 to 10 drops of green food coloring to the water. TA-DA!
Actually, it's a few hours before the stippling starts.
These photos are two full days later.

And each type of daffodil stipples differently.
Check these daffodils out. They are bred/grown/created in Hubbard, Oregon.
Mitsch's bulbs are gorgeous. If you have the funds... Some of their bulbs are $60 each.

I buy my bulbs every November - or December, often at 50% off or even 75% off.
I live in the easy bulb planting state of Oregon. I've planted bulbs in January and had them bloom. Our winters are mild enough to get away with my  'frugal' approach.

When asked where I had gotten  these gorgeous daffodils, it was quite entertaining to tell people they grow this way in my yard.
Very few people knew how this was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.