I found this piece (3/4 meter) for 85 yen when I visited my friend in Japan. She knows all the secret local yokel fabric stops in Japan.
I knew I would make a tote bag with it and I sewed it yesterday.
I started with 17" squares and let my sewing evolve with these free-style cut flower details.
I used a black pleather for the handles and cut the flowers from them. Once cut, I knew I wasn't gonna be able to sew them on - all those tiny curves... Then I decided to use double sided tape, still not quite right. Took a break and about half-hour later, it occurred to me to use buttons. No buttons this weird green (a little lighter than split pea). I finally found my covered button stash. I'm very pleased with this detail.
One slip pocket inside. Unusual for me, I know.
I typically add three or four. This simple tote begged to stop at one.
I was thinking about some closure thingy,
but I'm not coming up with anything that won't ruin the simple lines of this tote.
There's a little Marimekko thing going on with the flowers.
My best thought is to crochet a chain of black and make a bigger covered button....
Or, I might just say, "It's finished."