02 September, 2010

Crater Lake Elevation Flowers


When's the last time you went to Crater Lake?



We went this summer. The last time? Guessing when I was five?
Too long.

We camped at Diamond Lake at 5000' elevation the last week of July. Great campground with plenty of lakeside sites. Crater Lake is higher but I took photos of the most delightful 'rock' flowers.
My flower books - three on the Pacific Northwest - are packed away. Hidden away, as I didn't clear off that bookcase. Sometime, next year, I'll find those books and get  correct flower names, but I'll wing it for now.



Start with native Columbine. This is seen all over Oregon - I've seen a lot of Columbine in the Bend/Sisters area.




A gorgeous low-growing Penstemon.



Steep hillsides, lots of rockeries. This yellow beauty poking up through the Penstemon.


I hadn't seen this one before. The leaves are thin like crocus leaves - varigated. At the bottom you see that lovely penstemon tube.


Another non-memory moment. However, it grows wild all over Petersburg, Alaska.


A kind of violet?


Stunning purple Phlox, everywhere.


I took most of these photos on this hike up to the Lookout Tower. Short hike but ALL uphill - at altitude.


Definitely an odd one - not quite up to blooming speed yet.


This was a type of sedum. Fleshy little balls of leaves.


Phlox hanging on. The Rim Road around Crater Lake, had only been cleared, all the way around, for less than two weeks when we were there. Lots of snow hanging around. Made for a nice hike- having a snowball fight.


Flowers were very spread out - none of that layering business.


Another type of yellow beauty poking up through the phlox.




We plan on going back - without the extended family (drama). We drove south to Roseburg and followed the Umpqua River (hwy. 138) up to Diamond Lake. Absolutely amazing campsites all along the river. Fly-fishing areas, hot springs up by Toketee Falls (and Lake). More to explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.