14 January, 2010

Muffin Disaster


Muffins don't ordinarily have holes like doughnuts.
I had myself a muffin disaster with a recipe that is foolproof!
For twenty years I have made these muffins. I have played around with the ingredients to make them more healthy.  I have baked them maybe a thousand times. This recipe has never given me cause for concern.
Fortunately, I know what the problem was. With my health issues, I only keep olive oil in the pantry. Vegetable oil is a bad soy product. Canola oil is genetically modified as well. I rarely bake anymore because I can't eat the result.    I used the olive oil. I hadn't tried olive oil before in baked goods.  The muffins were  needed as a present - a thank you gift for services above and beyond.
Anyway, in spite of my disaster - I am sharing the recipe because it's one of the best, healthiest muffin recipes in my repertoire.

p.s. These were a thank you present for the guy who brings doughnuts to work EVERY Thursday. He got the card I made and everyone signed - so maybe next week, I'll try again to make them. He was not given the holey doughnutty muffins.

MORNING GLORIOUS MUFFINS
by Mary Massey (Who's this? idk.  I got this recipe from my sister over 20 years ago. She doesn't remember Mary either.)

2 cups FLOUR*
1 1/4 Cup SUGAR*
2 tsp. CINNAMON
2 tsp. BAKING SODA
---------------------------------
1 1/2 cups shredded CARROT
1 1/2 cups chopped APPLES*
3/4 cup flaked COCONUT
1/2 chopped PECANS*
---------------------------------------
3 EGGS, beaten
1 cup VEGY. OIL***
1 tsp. VANILLA
1/2 tsp SALT, optional
------------------------------------------
*indicates an ingredient I have played around with. See below.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
In separate bowl ( I use my 4 cup Pyrex), combine carrots, apples, coconut and nuts.
Stir in eggs and oil and flavorings.
Blend into dry ingredients.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. You can use liners, you can spray tins with oil spray or not. I'm usually too lazy to do either.
Bake 375' for 18 - 20 minutes.
Insert toothpick to check when done.
Supposed to make 12 but I always end up with 18 muffins.
Makes 18 mini-muffins plus about 6 normal size muffins.
These freeze wonderfully.
 

*Flour: Substitute whole wheat for some of reg. flour or oat bran or experiment.
*Sugar: I use less.
***Oil: DON'T USE OLIVE OIL!!! I usually use a little over 1/2 cup. The apples and carrots make the muffins very moist.
*Apples: Peel/No peel - whatever. Oh - and I usually shred them. Already have the cheese grater out for the carrots.
*Pecans: use whatever nuts you have on hand. walnuts are good too.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! Looks perfect recipe! Thanks..
    I would like to make it today with meal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.