20 October, 2015

Happy Mail and Curried Cauliflower Rice


I received Happy Mail today from Crafty Tokyo Mama.


I was sewing from our mutual japanese sewing book and sent her the jap. style pocket tissue case  I made. Usable, but I changed things up because I got lost in the directions. She made me one that is correct. There is a pocket on the outside of the pouch for your tissues with a zippered pocket behind that.



 Look at the fabric on the back - so cute with it's Oregon reference.  I've only seen this fabric in black & white so this red is a treat.



 Her card is origami that folds up into a cute puppy dog.
 It's a square of paper with colored sections that you fold just right.
Why don't we have access to cute stuff like this in the USA?

I know you can order online but this was in a little japanese store. Maybe even the Daiso 100 yen store!




 I was reading Angry Chicken last night and she featured a Cauliflower recipe that I thought I could eat. I came home from the store with a giant head of cauliflower.

Recipe is from Martha Stewart and basically is curried rice with cauliflower. I did make some changes. My garbanzo bean can from the pantry was from 2009 (oops!). I don't tolerate legumes well so you can see it's been a while since I tried. Never fear, they were tossed into the garbage - another job on my list! Clean out the pantry.


I had some beef stock in the fridge and I used about a cup  more than the recipe called for. The liquid should be double the amount of rice and the recipe was asking me to trust it on less liquid....

I added some mushrooms and some chicken leftovers from two nights ago.


I roasted my florets of cauliflower in oil (  I used my walnut oil) and I felt it needed more than the 2 teaspoons called for in the recipe.


I added coconut milk instead of cream and this recipe liked that as well. I struggle with getting enough fat in my diet so this recipe was  a hit.
Add all four teaspoons of curry powder - I almost didn't.

I also needed to bake this about 26 minutes for the rice to get tender instead of the 15 minutes called for in the recipe.

I am definitely putting this on rotation. I can tolerate rice in small amounts but could have easily eaten double what I ate. It was that good.




2 comments:

  1. What fun Happy Mail! Crafty Tokyo Mama made a great bag. How did she know how to make it correctly? I love that the paper can become a dog! Thanks for sharing your awesome package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other countries always seem to have more exciting craft stuff! Really glad you've found something nice to eat!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.