05 August, 2012

Baby Back Ribs

This is what we are dining on tonight.
Baby Back Ribs.

My recipe:
Buy the Baby Back Ribs (pork loin) in the thick plastic. It will be a whole rack which I cut into three or four ribs each. These are not spare ribs or beef ribs which are fattier. These are the leaner, meatier good ribs. And more expensive.

First we are going to BBQ these rib sections to seal in the juices. Then we will slow-cook them, encased in foil in the oven. Afterwards, when the meat is starting to fall off the bone, we will finish them off on the BBQ.
Process takes about 3 - 4 hours. But only about 1/2 hour of actual 'minding'. 15 minutes at the beginning and 15 minutes at the end.

Ingredients:
Baby Back Ribs cut into 3/4 rib sections.
BBQ sauce.
Extra wide thick foil.

I salt/pepper/season my rib sections.
Sometimes I add a BBQ sauce coating.

Heat up your BBQ and place rib sections inside to 'braise' them. Turning once or twice. Once outside looks 'dry', they are sealed.
Get your big cookie sheet out and lay out a big piece of extra wide foil. Maybe 36"?
I lay a 12" wide normal foil layer on top of this for re-enforcement.

As your ribs come off the bbq, layer onto the foil. You are going to fold up your foil to make a package. Crimp edges. I start with bringing the short edges together and fold over two/three times.
Then I match edges on the sides and fold over two/three times.

Toss cookie sheet with foil package into a 300'f oven.
For about 2 -3 hours. If you need to go into town and watch the parade, maybe turn the oven down to 275'. This time depends on your ribs. Some ribs have more meat, thicker, skinnier, etc.

Note on BBQ sauce. I don't make my own but I do look for one that doesn't contain soy or wheat.

Finish on the BBQ. Heat up the BBQ, check on those ribs. {forgot to add here: Watch out when opening packet: steam is hot}  Meat should be starting to fall off the bone. It's normal for liquid to accumulate in your 'package'

Brush BBQ sauce on meat. Lay on BBQ. Low - Medium heat. As side-down 'dries', turn. My goal is three  layers of BBQ sauce. As each layer cooks on, add more. They are done when people hover.

Serve with fresh corn on the cob, watermelon and plenty of napkins.

One rack feeds 2 -3 people. Two racks feeds 4-5 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.