11 October, 2009

Two Soups

About all of the cooking that I do revolves around soup. I have so many food
intolerances/allergies that it is not really possible to cook recipes easily.

But - soup is.

This last week, I made a beef soup. Well, actually, I made two - mine and his.

My husband really likes canned tomatoes, potatoes, and a thicker feel to his
beef soup. However, I don't need the bad reactions to those items so I am
learning the fine art of making two soups at the same time.

First off: making the stock. Commercial stocks all seem to have soy or flour or
other non-pronounceable ingredients in them. I make my own. I have to make my own stock.

Soup for me is not quick to make but I do it over several days in small  manageable steps. I brown the beef chunks in olive oil and then add some chicken/turkey stock that I have made previously and frozen.

STOCK: I throw whatever chicken/turkey carcass I have into the crock pot and cover with water. It does its thing during the night. Strain the liquid. Throw away the carcass.  Since I have a slight problem in incorporating fat into my diet, I usually skip this next step: Place liquid in fridge until fat rises to top, skim off the solid fat and throw it away. Freeze in containers for later.

Once the beef is tender - a few simmering hours later; I add carrot chunks,
green beans from the garden and finally after a few minutes, some celery. Spices generally include turmeric, mushroom powder, maybe some oregano, sea salt, fresh-ground pepper (pre-ground pepper has flour in it to keep ground pepper from clumping). The Right Flavor is all about the spoon test.

Meanwhile - there is another pot bubbling away in a parallel universe. It's got one or two jars of tomatoes in it, potatoes, white (or black) beans. And the carrots and celery. Similar spices. Thickened with a bit of flour stirred into water. (I have mashed some of the beans into a paste before to thicken which works well if you can tolerate the beans and can't handle flours.)

His always looks so good that I usually have the lid on his. Out of temptation.

Unfortunately, the flour, more than anything, sets off the 'bad reaction's and
I'm really not that tempted.

Lectin Intolerance is similar to Gluten Intolerance where the attack on your lower intestines can give you real debilitating grief. Lectins are protein sugars that are abundant on all grains & legumes. Some research indicates that the nightshade vegetables are also problematic.
All I know is I continue to feel wonderful and energetic if I do not eat these foods.

One of my favorite sites is by Shauna James Ahern. She has Gluten Intolerance (Celiac's Disease) and is a very positive pathway type of person. She has come up with good-tasting recipes that won't make her sick. She is very encouraging regarding overcoming your own personal health issues.

One of my problems  is the dairy element. I tolerate Nancy's yogurt, and I have tried the whole goat angle but basically, dairy is an iffy food. Without dairy- its a tad difficult to incorporate ingredients into a DISH.

Some of the research on Lectin Intolerance indicates that one may, possibly, when healthy, occasionally eat these problem foods. Hopefully, as my intestine heals, I will tolerate some of these lectin-bound foods occasionally.

Next week - I am making a Butternut Squash Soup (no dairy). I haven't had this recipe since last fall and I've a mind for a challenge. Will the squash create a reaction or not?   I'll post the recipe as well because this soup freezes so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.