21 April, 2014

Drawstring Bags









Inspired by Benta, still sewing, with 20 minutes remaining on her recent trip to Ireland...
She cranked out two more bags in that twenty minutes!!!



My two bags took more time then 20.
Since the bag only measures 8" x 10", you can easily make these with fat quarters. 

 I buy yardage 'cuz I'm in no way a cool quilter person.
Svetlana made the tutorial - go make one.



There's an amazing amount of room - four easter egg yarn balls easily fit inside.


The red grosgrain ribbon holds the bag tight but is easily opened.


I used a basic Kona white cotton for my lining. These are lined drawstring bags folks.
My spotted orange came from a little fabric shop in Turku, Finland - just down the street from Finlayson's Department Store.
I just loved the faint checkerboard design covered in random polka dots.
No selvedge name to it either.



While there was a chance of 20 minutes, I thought to sew two at a time.



I hand-stamped the label with a new rummage sale aquisition.
Two  ***complete***  sets of alphabets!
I tossed the other stamps and the dried up stamp pads.






I used instead my washable Crayola purple ink pad that I have had since the kids were littles.
Which is quite amazing as the littles are now 24 & 26 years old.


I set the ink by giving it a good hot press.
I zigzagged closely the orange piece to the white and then used my pinking shears on the white. I then sewed it down with a straight stitch to my drawstring bag front.








I had this bag pinned to my computer as an idea to corral some swap items for Benta but went with the flat zipped pouch instead. Then Hadley made them, and then Benta made them. I got caught up in the madness.
Really - between the day job, yardwork and assorted other little life problems, I needed something fast to sew.
I love all the inspiration found with bloggers who like to sew.




2 comments:

  1. How funny that you'd already seen them, aren't they fun to make! I didn't use the measurements, as I had fabric cut into 8" squares snd wanted to use that up. The stamping was a good idea, and the orange fabric is fab. I was in Finland in. 1990 but wasn't sewing then so missed all the lovely fabrics ! I'm going to the post office tomorrow :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is longevity--your stamp pads still going strong after all this time!

    The bags are really cute.

    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog today, and all your comments, always!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.