09 June, 2013

Nancy's Kale Chips





This is my fourth bunch of kale I have brought home from the store this year.

With really good intentions.





Challenged by Nancy, this bunch did not end up on the compost pile.

Start with dry leaves and squoosh the leaves off the center rib. Discard the ribs.

Drizzle olive oil onto leaves and season lavishly with special salt or whatever you have on hand.



Roast in a 275' oven for a bit more than 20 minutes. Until it's crispy-crackely.



For some reason I had a phobia about making these kale chips which was irrational as these were very easy to make.

What do they taste like?

My husband asks me that when he sees what I have juiced.

The juice tastes like eating your veggies.

There's no magic to make veggies taste like anything else but what is in there.

Kale chips are delicate- not the best candidate for scooping roasted jalapeno pepper hummis.

They taste like crunchy salty kale.

Good, once a while.



Why bother?
Kale has a lot of vitamins that are really healthy --for people who are trying to hang onto healthy.
"One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.