08 September, 2014

Around The World Blog Hop: CraftyTokyoMama & VacuumingTheLawn

I was tagged a couple of weeks ago for the Around The World Blog Hop.
I did my post last Monday. I said something about myself and then passed the baton on to two sewists that I admire.

Janine from Crafty Tokyo Mama and Kyle from Vacuuming The Lawn.
They both have different styles of sewing and I enjoy seeing what they come up with when their blog posts pop up in my feed.


We all answered the same four questions. But what went on in the background was interesting to me as well.


When I first was tagged by Marilyn of Shades Of Bold, I had to think about it for an entire day. I was in the middle of yet another 50 hours of vacation coverage at work where I do a 12-hr split shift. Meaning I go into work in the morning for a couple of hours and then back again later, finishing up 12 hrs (ha!) from when I started my day. To say I am tired and not managing my auto-immune is a misnomer of giant proportions.
No time, dragging my heels, where can I find the three hours to write that post?
But then, I felt honored that Marilyn knew I had something to say to those four questions.

1. What are you working on now?
2. How does your work differ from others of its genre?


 
3. Why do I create what I do?


4. How does your creating process work?

I thought about these questions all week to when I needed to post - the following Monday.
And by looking at what other people answered to the same questions, I realize we're all in it to sew and we are all different. We are all self-doubting.  And we're all nervous about sharing too much.

So - if you get tagged, pony up and share a little about yourself.
It's interesting.

Janine shared a pic of her fabric stash in her sewing room. I adore these pictures even if the photo-taker is obsessing about how messy it looks. I like seeing what furniture you use to organize your fabrics and how you decorate your space. Rest assured we are all in the same messy sewing room boat. And if you are obsessively tidy, then I am probably not reading your blog.




Kyle shared a little about her day job and she even came up with an outline of her Creative Process which is in my head too as I work and create. Except for that part of making a muslin.


How does my creative process work?

Ha ha ha, it goes something like this:

  • See garment on someone's blog/Pattern Review gallery.  Covet pattern/garment intensely.
  • Buy pattern immediately online or with next pattern sale.
  • Pattern sits in my pattern stash for months/years
  • Finally I make a muslin
  • I sew the real deal, maybe learning a new technique or two along the way.
  • Then I get frustrated with fitting--why is it not turning out like the muslin?  Or get frustrated with machinery--Why is my serger misbehaving?  Why why why?  
  • Spend way longer than I probably should futzing over various large and minor details.
  • Contemplate why I'm such a slow seamster.
  • I get over myself.
  • Photo shoot + blog it.
  • On to the next.
The Around The World Blog Hop goes on --- hop on.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it neat how we make friends in blog land? I enjoyed seeing CTMs work space. I have a craft room that defies description.. too many craft interests. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM obsessively tidy. Can we still be friends???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun, Kathy! Thanks for tagging me. :) for not making a muslin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I enjoyed the compare/contrast. I too thought for most of the week about what I would write, then blocked out the time last Sunday evening to write it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.