29 December, 2010

Sewing Trends

SewMamaSew has posted in their blog a chance to be a soothsayer in the sewing world.
Having two days off in a row for two weekends in a row has created a positively bored mood here with time to contemplate what's in store for sewer's.

                  *** For the year 2011;  I have some answers:

Looking back on the sewing scene of 2010, what trends stand out in your mind?

Owls and Japanese fabrics & trims.

What were some of your favorite things? (Trends, fabric collections, patterns, blogs? Whatever you really loved.)
I loved continuing to discover some very creative blogs, and fine-tuning what I want to read about. i.e. The Selfish Seamstress declaring war on hemming for others.

What was your very favorite fabric collection or print? (If not listed above.)
I am drawn to the clean esthetic of the current Japanese fabrics out there, reminiscent of prints from the 50's. I am partial to any fabric with airplanes in it and I was definitely able to hoard more of these. I continue to have fun with garage sale fabrics (church rummage sales are where it is at). However, I cannot seem to overcome my huge dislike of 100% polyester stretch from the 1970's.

What was the best thing you made in 2010? (Be sure to share a photo!)
I think the best thing I made in 2010 was the Chalk Bag for my son. Made a day or so before Christmas 2009, it still counts. I enjoy figuring out how to make something turn out like retail, but better sewn and much cheaper.
Chalk bags are used in rock climbing - to chalk your hands for a drier grip. 
The bag is designed to keep the chalk contained without spilling.


What is one of the best things you saw that was made by someone else?
This bunny is still bookmarked as something I will make.  Alluring in it's simplicity.

And this Anthropology-knock-off necklace is still calling for me to make it. I have all of the materials too.

What do you think 2011 has in store? (Again, trends, fabric, patterns, etc.)
More sewers, more blogs, more sergers.  I believe sewing will continue to bloom in it's excitement amongst newbies as well as those rediscovering the joy of sewing. I also predict  fabric stores will stock MORE than just quilting cottons, such as damasks, silks, & pant-weight fabrics.  I truly hope to predict that bloggers who claim as their own designs - designs that have been around for fifty years if not a hundred years - will get over themselves.
Anything you’re ready for the sewing world to get over?
Owls were cute...
What’s on your sewing agenda for 2011? What are you excited about? What would you like to learn more about?
I just learned how simple sewing with elastic thread in my bobbin is. Wow.
I recently bought my first serger and I am loving how fast it makes the seams disappear.
I want to recreate a polar-fleece jacket that has worn out plus some athletic t-shirts with seam details I can now re-create with my new serger.

I want to not only sew more often but work on fitting issues. My work schedule is still crazy enough to preclude taking a class or two but if it is possible, I will work a couple of classes in.
And of course, the usual - I will attempt to use up more of my stash before buying more. I solemnly promise...   

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on the owls. That was my answer to that question as well. Great chalk bag!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.